Meet the Geeks Minutes
September 21, 2011
Attendees: Al Brown, Andi Schlanger, Brad Van Orden, Bill Schlanger, Eck Doerry, Eric Brown, Greck Cannon, Ward Davis, Josh Cross, Kristine Ketel, Sean Tierney, Bryce Bearchell, Jeff Saville, Stacy Fobar, Lee Bliss, Talbert Tso
- Bimonthly meetings
- Possibly change time to after work at NACET — late afternoon/early evening; possibly alternate times
- NACET is a convenient location for all.
- Have Robert McCarter come in to talk about programming
- Experts (from +50 miles away with PP)
- Jim Hisemith (has talked to students)
- ACM (Association of Computer Management) — does demo and a movie at NAU that is very popular. Perhaps they can do the same at NACET for this group.
- This group could also be a good source of potential speakers. A speaker could do a 15 to 20 minute talk and then demo. We could easily involve students in this and could possibly have the presentation on campus.
- Sean T. can do the first one on tools to work with outsourcing and how to manage a project.
- Phase 2 ideas
- Bill has the idea of Post projects and create bids or contact the poster.
- Q&A area to ask question and have it go out.
- Search for a Geek
- Featured Geek
- Video tape for Geek of the Month
- Sean T. suggests not repeating things we can find elsewhere. He feels physical meetings are the real value.
- Potential topic list for speaker calls. Where people can submit potential topics and vote on topics. Also people can post what topics they would like to see. We will use LinkedIn to post and e-mail Stacy topics.
Action Items: NACET will research how to host a Start-up Weekend. Group members should submit topics and/or speakers to Stacy F. at email@example.com for lunch and learns. Group members should join the LinkedIn Group if they have not yet at http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Meet-GEEKS-3948738. Jeff S. to work on story with Flagstaff Business News and to promote the group. Darryl B. to work on membership directory. Jeff S. and Stacy F. to plan Angel Investors meeting. Stacy F. to create book list.